Thursday, October 22, 2009

A mother's first year in reflection

from Kristina


My son turns one tomorrow, and I couldn’t help and think about how life has changed in the past year. I thought I would share some of them with you.

Things I miss:


Sleep

Ability to plan

Going to the gym

Things I don’t miss:

Lunch w/friends (I normally spend it at my son's daycare now)

Happy Hour

Going shopping or going to the movies

My new joys in life:

My son’s laugh

His reaction when I pick him up from daycare or surprise him w/ a visit during the day

Watching him learn new thing/experience things for the first time

That fact that he learned the word “Yah” but still doesn’t know the work “No”

My surprises:


Regardless of how much fun my single/childless friends are having, I would rather be with my son.

How much I can truly accomplish during his 20min nap.

Changing the diapers not that bad (knew my poor sense of smell would come in handy)

How much energy I can muster when sick/tired and my son needs/wants something.

My time/money ratio has changed incredibly; I am more willing to pay to have someone do something I can do just so I can spend the time with my son.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you for this moment of reflection - it goes a long way toward reassuring first-trimester me that i can manage the year ahead...

and happy new year!