Monday, December 21, 2009

Holiday gift ideas from our kids

A busy Choice Mom, behind on shopping for the holidays, wondered what she might be able to get for her parents on behalf of her young daughter. She asked Choice Moms for advice. This insight from Christine, mother of two young daughters, I thought was especially helpful:


First off, let me say how much I can relate to your pain and frustration! Every time I pat myself on the back that I'm done with shopping, someone else pops up!

However, I suggest 2 things. 1) stop and breathe -- I think it's so easy to get caught up in the commercial part of making sure everyone has a gift that we forget to enjoy the moment of the holiday. Last year at this time I had a three week old and a preschooler in the house. I was limited and exhausted, and finally had to admit I couldn't do it all! It was a very liberating feeling, and allowed me to slow down and just enjoy the spirit. 2) You are always thinking about what's best for your daughter, so think about what you want her impressions of Christmas to be? A stressed mom? I'm trying to keep in mind this season (and it's hard sometimes!) that I really want to pass on the traditions of Christmas to my children, and not so much the present part.

Having said all that, what about taking one of your favorite pictures from this year and making a frame out of connected handprint-tracing cutouts? I don't know if your daughter is drawing stick people, but I always treasure my daughter's drawings of our family. What about a t-shirt or tote bag covered with her hand- and footprints? I always give my mom a yearly calendar filled with the girls' pictures as a new years present (my mother still has a dial up computer connection so sending her picture files is almost impossible!). It includes Christmas morning photos, so she doesn't mind the wait! My last suggestion is just to go to Target with your daughter and let her pick out what she thinks grandma and grandpa would like. You are totally off the hook then, because your daughter picked it out!

Holly added these ideas:
Don't discount the photo mug idea. We have a kiosk in a small mall here that does it in an hour or so. Maybe check there? How about a picture on an ornament with the year?

For Gramma, my daughter has made her a picture that we framed. She also collected some acorns (they do this every fall together) and I preserved them with an acrylic spray and we're giving them in a lovely bowl. Also, I do A LOT of my shopping on http://www.etsy.com and found a local woman who made Gramma a set of earrings with an acorn theme and a bracelet to match - inexpensive, handmade and since she's local the expedited shipping wasn't terrible (I almost went to her house to get them at one point!). Here's the link to search for local merchants near you: http://www.etsy.com/shop_local.php?ref=fp_nav_local.

Something simple, IMO, is always best and makes the biggest hit. Books for them to read together? A plant in a Terracotta pot that is decorated by your daughter with paints with a plant she picked out at the local garden center? If photos are in abundance, I've made small "scrapbooks" with small wire bound sketchbooks, self-adhesive photo corners and little stickers and handwriting throughout remembering times together (cheaper than online and easier if you have the time).

What about you? What ideas have worked for you?

No comments: